Maldives, Republic of
Corporate - Other issuesLast reviewed - 14 January 2023
At present, there are no exchange controls in Maldives.
Registration of business in Maldives
In accordance with the Business Registration Act, a foreign entity/person can carry on any business activity in Maldives only after registration as a company under the Maldives Companies Act (Act Number: 10/96) or as a partnership under the Partnership Act (Act Number: 13/2011).
Business activities that require registration in Maldives, as defined in the Business Registration Act of the Maldives, are as follows:
- Buying and selling of goods for purposes of receiving an income therefrom.
- Craftsmanship commercially carried on with a view to earning income therefrom.
- Provision of professional and/or technical services for earning a profit therefrom.
- Provision of any other services for earning a profit therefrom.
- Granting of rights in respect of immovable property for the purposes of earning a profit therefrom.
- Every other activity conducted with a view to earning a profit therefrom.