The Malawi tax year runs from 1 July to 30 June.
For employment income, the employer is responsible for monthly remittance of PAYE and annual reconciliation. The employee need not submit a return if employment is the only source of income.
For business income, annual tax returns should be submitted, supported by financial statements, within 180 days after the end of the financial year.
Payment of tax
For employment, PAYE is payable on a monthly basis.
For businesses, provisional tax is paid on a quarterly basis. The total payments made in the four quarters should not be less than 90% of the total tax liability for the year, and the remaining 10% should be paid on submission of the return.