Individual - Other issues

Last reviewed - 28 February 2024

Work permits

A request to the National Office for Employment Promotion (ONAPE) for a work permit must be filed by the employer before concluding a labour contract with a foreigner.

In order to be in compliance with both the labour and immigration authorities, all expatriates working in Chad must possess the following legal documents:

  • An employment authorisation that cannot exceed a one-year period ('autorisation d'emploi').
  • A work permit ('permis de travail').
  • A resident card ('carte de sejour').
  • A long-term visa and a return visa ('visa long sejour et visa retour').
  • A labour contract concluded for a limited duration to be stamped by ONAPE. The employment contract cannot start before this stage.

The delivery of these legal documents is interconnected; therefore, their duration will not exceed a one-year period (renewal possible).

There is no need to register for tax and social security purposes since this is handled by the employer. However, it is necessary to register with the immigration services within three days after arrival in Chad.