Ghana

Individual - Other taxes

Last reviewed - 03 June 2024

Social security contributions

The social security contribution scheme is structured into three tiers. The first two require mandatory contributions; however, the last one is voluntary.

Under the first two tiers, the employee is required to contribute 5.5% while the employer contributes 13%. 13.5% and 5% of the total contribution of 18.5% is contributed to the first-tier and second-tier schemes, respectively. These contributions are deductible for tax purposes and are tax free for both the employer and the employee.

Under the third tier, there are no restrictions on the contributions made to the fund. However, contributions made by an employer and employee of up to 16.5% are exempt from tax on both the employer and the employee to the extent of their respective contributions to an approved fund manager. All contributions in excess of 16.5% are taxable on the employee or employer or both.

Expatriates, unless exempt, are required to contribute to the mandatory social security schemes. However, expatriate employees of contractors and sub-contractors (of the upstream petroleum industry) are not required to participate in any insurance, compensation, or other employee or social benefit programmes established in Ghana.

Capital gains tax (CGT)

CGT is payable by every person on any capital gains accruing or derived from the realisation of assets and liabilities. Where the chargeable income of an individual includes a gain from the realisation of an investment asset not charged elsewhere, the individual may elect that the gain, less any loss from the realisation of that asset, is taxed at the rate of 25%. 

Consumption taxes

Value-added tax (VAT)

Other than exempt goods and services, VAT of 15% is charged on the following:

  • Every supply of goods and services made in Ghana.
  • Every importation of goods.

The supply of tangible goods (other than exempt goods) by VAT-registered retailers is subject to VAT at the flat rate of 3% if that retailer makes annual supplies of between GHS 200,000 and GHS 500,000. 

A flat rate of 5% is also applicable on the taxable supply of immovable property by a taxable person:

  • for rental purposes other than for accommodation in a dwelling or in a commercial rental establishment; or
  • who is an estate developer.

National health insurance levy (NHIL) and Ghana education trust fund levy (GETFL), and COVID-19 health recovery levy (CHRL)

Unless otherwise exempted or zero-rated, NHIL of 2.5%, GETFL of 2.5%, and CHRL of 1% are charged on the following:

  • Every supply of goods and services provided in Ghana.
  • Every importation of goods.
  • Supply of imported service.

Inheritance, estate, and gift taxes

Inheritance, estate, and gift taxes are not expressly and separately provided for under the tax laws of Ghana.

A gift received by an individual is included in the assessable income of the individual. The amount is taxed at the applicable tax rate of 25% for a non-resident or the marginal rate for a resident (highest of 35%). However, an individual may elect and apply a 25% tax on gifts received other than in respect of business or employment.

Please see the Other taxes section in the Corporate tax summary for more information.