Resident taxpayers paying rent, interest, royalties, and non-resident services shall withhold tax at the time of payment and shall transfer the amount of the tax withheld not later than the 15th day of the month following the tax period.
Taxpayers shall withhold tax at the time of payment or credit. A WHT obligation applies only when the underlying amount (e.g. rent, interest) is actually paid, not when it accrues.
WHT rates are provided below:
- Interest and royalties: 10%.
- Rent: 9%.
- Services provided from non-residents: 5%.
- Payments to non-business natural persons, farmers, recycled materials collectors, etc.: 1%.
For payments made to recipients in countries with which Kosovo has a DTT, the rates of WHT may be eliminated/reduced under the terms of the treaty.
There is no WHT on dividends, as dividends received by residents and non-residents are exempt from taxation in Kosovo.
Double tax treaties (DTTs)
Currently, Kosovo has DTTs in place with the following countries:
|Saudi Arabia||5||5||5/10 (1)|
|United Arab Emirates||5||5||0|
* DTT agreements with Czech Republic, France, Italy, and Lithuania are not yet in force.
- 5% if paid for the use of, or the right to use, industrial, commercial, or scientific equipment; otherwise, 10%.
- Dividends paid by a company that is a resident of Kosovo to a resident of Turkey shall be subject to 0% taxation at source.