Resident taxpayers have the option to claim either a standard deduction or itemised deductions for their income tax calculation purpose. For the 2018 IIT return filing, these deductions are as follows.
Note that non-resident aliens are not eligible for any deductions.
The deduction for a single taxpayer is TWD 120,000. A husband and wife filing a joint return are eligible for a standard deduction of TWD 240,000.
Itemised deductions include the following:
- Charitable contributions.
- Insurance premiums (maximum of TWD 24,000 per person per annum for group insurance premium and labour insurance premium).
- Medical expenses.
- Calamity losses.
- Either interest paid on loans for the purchase of an owner-occupied house in Taiwan (maximum of TWD 300,000) or rental payment (maximum of TWD 120,000) for the lease of a self-use residence in Taiwan.
There is no ceiling on the aggregate of the itemised deductions.
The following special deductions are also available:
- Special deduction for losses from property transactions, which are limited to gains from such transactions (residual balance can be carried forward for three years).
- Special deduction for salaries or wages (limited to TWD 200,000/person, or total salary income reported, whichever is lower).
- Special deduction for interest earned from bank deposits (limited to TWD 270,000/tax filing unit, or the total reported, whichever is lower).
- Special deduction for the disabled or handicapped (TWD 200,000/person).
- Special deduction for dependent child tuition (TWD 25,000 per dependent child if studying in an approved college or university).
- Special deduction for pre-school children who are less than or equal to five years of age (TWD 120,000 per child, which is only allowed for a taxpayer whose applicable regular income tax rate is less than 20% after deducting the said special deduction, or where the income subject to IBT is less than TWD 6.7 million).
A non-resident alien is not eligible for any special deductions.
A resident alien is eligible for a personal exemption of TWD 88,000. Additional exemptions of TWD 88,000 each are available for the spouse and each dependant. For dependants over 70 years of age, the exemption will be TWD 132,000.
A non-resident alien is not eligible for any personal exemptions.