The following maximum deductions apply for the tax year:
- Pension fund contributions, up to 10% of gross salary, by persons holding appointed office or employment.
- Retirement annuity fund contributions (i.e. contributions during the year of assessment by members of the fund), with the sum of these contributions not to exceed 15% of the taxable income accruing to the taxpayer from the trade carried out by the taxpayer, provided that the total amount allowed as a deduction shall be reduced by any contributions made by the taxpayer to a pension fund.
- 10% of the mortgage interest paid to an approved financial institution at commercial rates, up to a maximum of SZL 2,400, provided that the individual is residing in the house.
No deduction is allowed for medical expenses.
For the purpose of ascertaining the taxable income of any person, the following may be deducted from the income of that person:
- Expenditures and losses actually incurred in Eswatini by the taxpayer in the production of income as well as such expenses incurred outside Eswatini in the production of taxable income as the Commissioner may allow, provided the expenditures or losses are not of a capital nature.
- Expenditures actually incurred by the taxpayer during the year of assessment for repairs of property occupied for the purpose of trade or in respect of which income is receivable and sums so expended for the repair of machinery, implements, utensils, and articles employed by the taxpayer for the purposes of the taxpayer's trade.
- Such sum as the Commissioner may think just and reasonable as representing the diminished value by reason of wear and tear during the year of assessment of any plant, machinery, implements, utensils, and articles used by the taxpayer for the purposes of the taxpayer's trade.