The social contribution percentages paid by employers and employees are applied to a certain computation base. The contribution rates can be modified by the Social Security State Budget Law, by the State Budget Law, or by any amendments made directly to the Fiscal code. The contribution rates are established as follows:
- Social security (pension) contribution: 25%.
- Health contribution: 10%.
The monthly assessment base is the gross income derived from dependent activities.
- Social security (pension) contribution: 4% for particular working conditions or 8% for special working conditions; there is no employer pension contribution for normal working conditions;
- Labour insurance contribution: 2.25%.
The monthly assessment base is the gross salary income derived by individuals, resident and non-resident, based on an employment contract (or a service relationship or special status), as well as revenues treated as salaries (administrators’ remuneration, director on mandate contract, etc.).
Employers calculate and withhold the social contributions when paying salaries. Social contributions must be declared and are payable to the relevant budgets by the 25th day of the month following the one the salary income relates to.
Value-added tax (VAT)
The standard VAT rate is 19%. The standard VAT rate is applied to all supplies of goods and services (including imports) that neither qualify for an exemption (with or without credit) nor for a reduced VAT rate.
See the Other taxes section in the Corporate tax summary for more information.
Net wealth/worth taxes
There are no net wealth/worth taxes in Romania.
Inheritance, estate, and gift taxes
No inheritance taxes apply in Romania, except in relation to transfer of real estate in certain circumstances. Gift taxes are not levied in Romania.
The building tax calculation method differentiates between buildings depending on their destination usage:
- Residential buildings: Tax rate between 0.08% and 0.2% (applicable to the taxable value as per the specific table provided by the law for individuals and the value resulted from the evaluation report for legal entities).
- Non-residential buildings: Tax rate between 0.2% and 1.3%. In the case of a building used for agricultural purposes, the applicable tax rate is 0.4%.
Owners of land are subject to land tax established at a fixed amount per square metre, depending on the rank of the area where the land is located and the area or category of land use, in accordance with the classification made by the Local Council.
Similar to building tax, land tax is paid annually, in two equal instalments, by 31 March and 30 September. A 10% reduction is granted for full advance payment of this tax by 31 March.